Classic Pesto



2 cups basil leaves, chopped  (feel free to substitute other herbs or leafy greens as well; ideas include mizuna, spinach, arugula, cilantro, and parsley)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt
¼ cup pine nuts  (walnuts, almonds, and pecans are also delicious)
¼ cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
¾ cup olive oil or slightly more

Wash and dry the basil leaves and dry well. 


Using a mortar and pestle, put in basil, pine nuts, garlic and a pinch of salt. Pound all the ingredients with the pestle using a circular motion to pull all of the ingredients to the center of the mortar. Pounding is done when the ingredients form into a paste with a slightly chunky texture. 


Transfer from mortar to a bowl and add olive oil in a very, very slow stream, mixing all the while.  Mix with cheese. Adjust oil if necessary.  


If not using immediately, put in a jar and pour a thin layer of oil on top to keep that fresh green color.

Refrigerate.


1 comment:

Monet said...

I think pesto is perfect for summer months. I'm glad I'm reading your blog during my lunch break. I would have some serious hunger pains if I didn't have plate of food in front of me! I hope you are having a wonderful Monday. Thank you for sharing with me